Skip to main content
Home / News / How to deal with floods

How to deal with floods


Floods can often be some of the most damaging weather events in Australia, so what do you need to do to protect your home and possessions during the wet season?


Consider upgrading your drainage system so that water can leave your property in the event of a flood. Keep valuables in secure parts of the home, like in an upstairs bedroom rather than the basement.

You'll never want to do it, but cleaning out gutters is a simple way to allow rain to flow off your home, and away from your living room. Think smaller too - it never hurts to have a change of clothes, a list of important phone numbers and money to last throughout the flood. Again, these should be kept in a secure part of your home.

While it's also important to prepare for bigger floods, smaller amounts of water can cause just as much damage over the long-term. Fix leaks in your home as soon as you notice them, whether in the roof or walls, and think about upgrading your roof with rubber matting for extra protection.


If your home has been hit by a flood, you've got to think fast and put your and your family’s safety first.  So, make sure everyone’s accounted for, move valuables upstairs as soon as possible and work with neighbours to keep the area safe. Turn off the electricity as soon as possible and cover doors with sandbags to stop more water entering the home.


It's time to now phone your insurance company and account for the damages. This can be a difficult process, but it’s important to be diligent and make sure you've taken note of all damaged objects. This doesn’t just mean the big stuff like furniture and appliances, but the food in your fridge and freezer. Food spoilage cover is part of most insurance policies, but make sure you refer to your provider and their Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for specifics.

Now that the flooding has passed, you may also want to consider upgrades to protect against future floods. Think about retaining walls to divert water away from your property and add new drains underneath the house. If the damage is too severe, it may pay to rebuild the house above the flood water line to provide the best form of protection.

Floods can also damage your car, and might cost you a lot in repairs if the electronics, engine and interior are affected. The answer? A car insurance policy that includes flood cover.

For more information about insurance options from AANT, speak to a consultant on 8925 5901 or visit


Insurance is underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited ABN 78 003 191 035 AFSL 239545. Automobile Association of Northern Territory Incorporated ABN 13 431 478 529 AR 433569 is an authorised representative of QBE. The information on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. You should ensure you obtain and consider the Product Disclosure Statement for the policy before you make any decision to acquire it. *Multi-policy discount is available on your first policy after renewal and is only available for Home, Landlords and Motor Vehicle policies.

Territory Lifestyle

We are committed to making the most of your Territory lifestyle