Skip to main content
Home / News / Car Insurance - what are you covered for?

Car Insurance - what are you covered for?

Breaking down car insurance.

We all know car insurance is important, but when faced with a bingle, many of us don’t know what we’re really covered for. Who pays for what, what we are eligible for, and when we are liable to pay are all common questions when it comes to insurance. Whether it’s compulsory or third-party, we’ve got the ins and outs of car insurance categories to help you navigate what’s right for you.




As the name helpfully points out, this type of insurance is compulsory. Insuring you against liability for death or injury to other road users caused by your vehicle, CTP is a legal requirement to have before driving on the road. But in the NT, it’s not something you sign up for – you automatically receive it and pay for it when you register your car.

Why register for another form of car insurance you might ask? While important, CTP doesn’t cover any damage to your car, or that of another drivers. You’ll need to sign up for another insurance to cover you for that.


If you’ve been involved in a crash, third party insurance will cover loss or accident damage your car causes to another vehicle or property. If you’re found to be at fault, you’ll need to pay out of your own pocket to get your own vehicle fixed. Remember, it’s important to read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and the Supplementary PDS to ensure you understand where you’re covered (or not).


When it comes to vehicle theft or fire damage, third party fire and theft has you covered. While not applicable to crash-related damage to your car, this coverage will keep the worries at bay for fire damage (or loss) or if your car is stolen. To cover yourself from crash-related incidents, you’ll need to purchase comprehensive car insurance.


The crème de la crème of car insurance, comprehensive is the highest level of cover for youand your car. It includes all accidental damage, fire and theft, as well as damage to other people’s cars and property if you’re at fault. Weather damage is also covered by comprehensive car insurance, so if your car falls victim to storm damage or a falling branch, you won’t have to foot all of the bill. This type of cover extends to all drivers listed on your policy. Always read the Product Disclosure Statement prior to purchasing insurance.

If you still have questions about car insurance give our team a call on (08) 8925 5901.

Interested in a quote, call our team or use our online tool.

(Applies to the AANT Motor Vehicle product disclosure statement & policy wording (PDS) (QM7689-0116) and Supplementary SPDS (QM8388-0819). Insurance is underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited ABN 78 003 191 035 AFSL 239545. Automobile Association of Northern Territory Incorporated ABN 13 431 478 529 AR 433569 is an authorised representative of QBE.  The advice in this article has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You must decide whether or not it is appropriate, in light of your own circumstances, to act on this advice. You should ensure you obtain and consider the policy wording or Product Disclosure Statement for the policy before you make any decision to buy it.
Article by Lauren Ferrone, authorised by QBE Insurance.

Territory Lifestyle

We are committed to making the most of your Territory lifestyle