131 111

24-hour Road Assistance

Carnet de Passages en Douane

Carnet de Passages en Douane

Just as you, as a person, require international identification, commonly by way of passport, so does your vehicle. The document used to identify your vehicle is called a Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) which comes from the French meaning ‘notebook’. It is a set of vouchers and Customs simply remove one each time you pass in and out of each country.

Do I need a Carnet?

The Carnet (pronounced car-nay) is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and saves time, effort and expense. It allows visitors to temporarily import their vehicles for a limited period of time with a minimum of formalities and without the need to make a cash deposit at the frontier in local currency, equivalent to the Customs Duty and other taxes.

A Carnet is essential for the temporary importation of vehicles into most African, Asian, Middle East, New Zealand and South American countries.

A Carnet is not required for motor cars, camper vans and motor cycles entering most countries in Europe or the United States of America for touring purposes. People temporarily importing vehicles into these parts of the world are required to sign a personal undertaking that they will re-export the vehicle within the prescribed time limit.

How to apply

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA) is a member of the AIT/FIA Carnet network which guarantees to Customs authorities around the world payment of Customs Duties on motor vehicles, temporarily imported for touring purposes.

Exporting your vehicle from Australia requires a Carnet and is available to the Australian public, however being a financial member of a constituent motoring organisation of the AAA offers additional benefit as you can obtain reciprocal services while travelling overseas.

To apply, please visit the AAA website to download the application or contact AANT for further assistance.

© Copyright 2016 AANT